Oct 10, 2010

Okay, So I Missed It...



Okay, so stop criticizing me.  What I meant was, I didn't post to commemorate the first game of the year.  I didn't talk about the excitement of a new season, or the hope that the Oilers Organization has been slipping into every mention of the team since the draft; I didn't talk about how Hall, Eberle, or Paajarvi were making their NHL debuts, or how I was looking forward to watching Hemsky in a regular season game again.

I'm sorry, I figured that much was obvious.

Regardless, it was a phenomenal game, and I can't help but feel that I don't really care how the rest of the season goes.  On Thursday I watched potential.  I watched what the Oilers could be. I watched what the Oilers will be in a few years.  I watched as Rexall Place exploded with ecstasy, with roars of appreciation, with euphoric relief.  Relief that we weren't going to be both the worst team in the league and the most boring to watch.  Relief that the kids were fitting in alright with an NHL pace.  Relief that Hemsky seemed his old self out there.  Relief that we shot the puck while on the powerplay.  Relief that the Oilers weren't going to suffer another series sweep at the hands of our neighbours to the south.  Relief that we scored more than one or two goals.

Relief that there really was light at the end of this tunnel.

That's right Oilers Faithful, after all these years of drastically less than repetitive mediocrity, we have something to look forward to.  It's been awfully dark in Edmonton these last few seasons, and to see the light of day coming on the horizon is a most welcome change.

The Oilers are at home once again tonight.  The Florida Panthers are in town.  Good luck boys, and I look forward to watching you in a couple hours.

No comments: