Jan 6, 2010

I'm Tired of Negativity...

Do not mistake this for me calling out the Oiler Faithful for their adamant disapproval of the Oilers' effort and performance, or lack there of; that is not what this is.

What this is, is a confession: I'm tired.

This team takes so much out of me, and it's not even their fault truly. The fact is that I invest so much energy into cheering for this team, and hoping they are going to win, break a losing streak, manage to get a winning streak, or even put in a solid effort for a change.

I have a few New Years Resolutions. One of them pertains to the Oilers:

I resolve to stop investing so much energy into being frustrated and/or angry with my team, the Oilers.

Does this mean that the organization and the team is off the hook? No, definitely not. And it certainly doesn't mean that I'm going to stop caring about the team, because that is all but impossible for me to do. What it does mean is that I am going to stop getting so angry with the team; in essence I'm inviting a little bit of apathy into our relationship. In the relationship that I share with the Oilers I don't think a little bit of apathy will hurt; in fact, I'm almost positive that it will help.

I've heard a lot of people talking about how the organization really takes their fan base for granted. While true, this goes both ways, which is something that I like to remind myself whenever I'm feeling particularly shortchanged in my Oilers-Me relationship.

I'm sure if I asked citizens from Winnipeg or Quebec City - or even Hamilton, who kind of almost received an NHL team this off-season - what they thought of our situation they would be mildly sympathetic. But they would also mention the fact that, while it sucks that our team isn't that great, it would suck far more if we didn't have a team at all.

This is not me letting the team off the hook.

This is me introducing some apathy into my relationship with the team in hopes of improving my overall mood.

Anyone else looking to add some apathy to their Oilers-fan relationship?

P.S.:

Dear Mr. Jordan Eberle,

While you weren't given a gold medal for your neck last night, you were absolutely fantastic in last nights game, as well as the rest of the World Juniors tournament. I haven't seen a kid with your kind of gift for big plays before, being a rather "young" hockey fan myself, and it was an absolute treat to watch you go to work these past couple weeks. I look forward to seeing you in Oilers Silks, and wish you luck with the rest of the season and your hockey career.

2 comments:

Martin said...

The only thing I disagree with is that criticizing the fans that are complaining. That shows the fans care and want their team to do better. I call the team out on their shortcomings because I care. I have bled blue and copper for 31 years and never have I ever wavered from cheering for the team no matter how things get. Because I care about the team I can voice my opinion when I don't like what they do. I have that right. It is those who jump off and on the bandwagon depending how the team does that don't have that right.

Becca Jane said...

I don't mean to criticize the fans at all. The organization could certainly have it worse off.

As a fan base Oiler fans care so much that they can't help but get upset. It's hard to separate that out, because a lot of outsiders would view this as being a negative thing. Oiler fans don't generally complain to be whiney; they complain because they'd like to see something done to fix an issue with the team that they've been watching since childhood. Fans that still pay upwards of $100 to go and see their team play, even if they know their chances of winning aren't the greatest, and this after more than a couple seasons of mediocrity.

You are right. As a fan of the Oilers for most of your life you, and many others, have the right to call the team out.

I have had to unfortunate displeasure of conversing with a number of Oiler 'fans' that are pretending they like the team when in actual fact they hate them. As a fan myself, it's easy to tell these people apart from the rest of the fans. It's a feeling more than anything else.

My point is that sometimes there is a lack of appreciation of the fact that we have a team. It doesn't meant that we have to shut up and take it. That would be absurd. But whenever I'm getting too angry or frustrated I just remind myself that it could be worse. We could not have a team at all.