May 17, 2009

Round 3; Fight!

... Okay, so that was what I remember being the intro to Round 3 in Mortal Kombat (Thanks OntarioOilfan... :P ) for SNES. It was a pretty sweet game, but I wasn't all that good at it. I'd win sometimes though, and usually by hitting my opponent with repetitive flying high kicks... Or whatever that move was called... I think it was the Y button.

So here we are, one round away from the Stanley Cup Finals. I only got one prediction right last round, but most of the teams that won were in fact the teams I *wanted* to win. Chicago, Detroit and Carolina; Pittsburgh being the team that I wanted to lose... Damn you Crosby. So, let's get into it shall we?

Eastern Conference Final:

Carolina Hurricanes vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

Okay, so here's the way that I see it. Ward is a better goaltender than Fleury, and some of you may disagree, but this is the way that I see it, not the way you see it. Ward has a cup, in his rookie year no less, and Fleury doesn't, and Ward was amazing in the finals against the Oilers. So Carolina has the advantage in goaltending in my eyes. Pittsburgh relies quite heavily on their offense to get things done, because their defense isn't that skilled. That said, their defense didn't seem to have to hard of a time dealing with AO... I haven't had the chance to watch much of the second round because I work evenings and weekends, and the games are usually played at a time when I'm at work. If I'm lucky, sometimes I'll catch the last five minutes of the third or some of an overtime period. Every time that I've predicted against Carolina they've won (yeah, all of two times...), but the question is whether or not I think they have a chance against a Penguins team that has a high-powered offense that will give *any* team's defense a headache. I think they've got a shot, but it'll be a long one...

Pittsburgh takes it in 7.

Western Conference:

Detroit Red Wings vs Chicago Blackhawks

Oh what an entertaining conference final this is going to be! Chicago has surprised many people with how far they've come. Myself included, not that I didn't want them to do well, that's not what I'm saying here. I like Chicago's team, they're young and they're exactly what the Oilers *wanted* to be, but we just couldn't seem to get it to click into place. I'm not bitter about it, though I am a little jealous I think I can look past it, because these kids are fun to watch. I'm not a fan of Detroit, and I want Chicago to kick them around the block a few times. And then maybe a few times more. Detroit is going to be a tough opponent for Chicago, though. I look at Detroit and I see a team with few weaknesses, which could definitely be a problem for the young Blackhawks. Detroit's defense doesn't just come from their defensemen; we are all well educated in the defensive prowess of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. That said, their first two playoff opponents were not easy ones, and I think they've learned some valuable information on how to persevere. I also think Chicago is faster, and if they can kick their speed into gear they'll be able to take this series.

Chicago wins in 6.


Oh dear that second one is a risk... But hey, I only got one right last round, so if I go 0 for 2 here I won't be too upset.

Should be some exciting and entertaining hockey coming up, that's for sure.

1 comment:

Ontario Oilfan said...

You're welcome :)

I like your predictions. They sound familiar.

Pittsburgh and Chicago in the final would be a huge win for the NHL.