Apr 11, 2009

Oilers @ Flames; Frustration

Alright, so.... The Oilers won last night. 5-1 actually, in a most decisive way might I add. Yes, the Flames were majorly short-handed, but we're a non-playoff team, and they're on their way to a post-season. This implies that they're much better than us, and, while perhaps winning wasn't as easy as it could have been, keeping it close should have been relatively simple to do. It wasn't, and that's not because the Flames were worse than they should have been, it's because the Oilers played much better than they have in the majority of the season. I'd say the exceptions being just before the all-star break and a few games here and there, like the last Vancouver game.

I'm glad I'm not one who pulls their hair out when they're frustrated, because I'd be balder than Messier right now.

If that's possible.

Why? Why is this the way it goes? We were in a playoff spot, then we dropped out; managed our way back in, then tanked until it was virtually impossible for the team to make it. Now, I remember saying yesterday that if Anaheim or St. Louis gets a point in any of their last two games that it doesn't matter any way; and both did and have since clinched a playoff spot. But I lied, it does matter.

I'm tired of having the Oilers be the butt-end of jokes for the past three seasons. I'm tired waking up and wondering which Oiler team is going to be on the ice that night. I'm tired of reading articles entitled something like, "What Went Wrong in Edmonton This Season." I'm SICK and TIRED of listening to cynical fans who consistently want to believe the worst, and will broadcast it to any one with ears.

I'm glad I love hockey as a game and not just the Oilers, because that at least means that I'll watch the playoffs any way, and I'll watch the World Championships, and I'll join in speculation about who will make the Olympic team, both Canada and USA.

There was one comment, said in passing, by one Sheldon Souray yesterday on Sportsnet that really bothered me. It went something like this:

-Broadcaster asks question regarding the difference between home and away performance this season-

Sheldon Souray answers some of the regular jargon and then throws in something along the lines of, "I guess we just don't feel like we have to put on a show [when we're on the road]."


Here's the thing, Sheldon. You do have to put on a show. Because you're a professional athlete, and once you're an athlete at this level, and people pay hundreds of dollars per game to see you play you better be damn certain you're putting on an effing show. I don't think I hear professional musicians complain about how when they go on stage the people in the audience expect a show; I've never heard a theater actor complain about it either. We pay to see all of you play. So, yes, Sheldon; we do expect a show, and that's true of any NHL arena or fan base. Why don't people go to see the L.A. kings play in their home barn? Because they don't think it's entertaining. It's not a show to them.

Of course, that's before people get an emotional attachment to the team. At which point we can't stop watching even when you've stopped performing for us.

There are rumors today that the Edmonton Oilers are close to signing Denis Grebeshkov to a two-year deal that is a considerable raise over his current contract. Alright, so this means we've got to be shipping someone out the door on the back-end, but who is it? Personally I'd like to see Gilbert AND Staios find new homes. I'd then bring up Chorney and Peckham full time and move Smid up to either first or second pairing duties. I've stated before that I think Ladislav and Sheldon together would be a monster pairing, but I don't think the coaching staff would want to move Ladislav up so quickly. That said, he did play on the top pairing in his rookie season if I remember correctly. I do believe that Ladislav is ready for some serious responsibility, and this gives us room to think about moving some other, perhaps more expensive, pieces to someone who needs them. Gilbert is a nice bargaining chip, and no one can deny that fact, so I'd package him with someone who would be a little harder to move, say a Staios or a Moreau.

It'll be an interesting off-season. That's for sure.

As Always: Go Oilers Go.

Author's Note: I should make mention that I only used L.A. in the above example because of the value of hockey as entertainment, this was not an attack on the team.

3 comments:

Ontario Oilfan said...

Balder than Messier? That's rough...

I think we're going to see a lot changes this summer. Tambellini's going to have to make some really tough decisions.

Every time we seem to hear of a trade the Oilers are involved in, Cogliano's name is mentioned in the same breath as "rejected"... You have to figure he's gone if there's a blockbuster deal on the table unless someone out there wants Nilsson for some unknown reason.

Those comments by Souray weren't very inspiring, especially from a guy who's supposed to be a candidate for Captaincy.

There's been some rumblings on a few sites that instead of Gilbert heading out, Souray should be the guy moved. He's more expensive, has more of an offensive upside, and quite a bit older... I'm not sure I trust Gilbert though; he's faltered with the extra minutes since Visnovsky's gone down.

Prior to his injury, Smid was grousing in the papers that he wanted more responsibility; that he felt he was better than a 5/6 guy. I think you're absolutely right that he's a guy who could be on the #1 pairing and he's got something to prove should he be given the chance.

The off-season will definitely be interesting; prolly a tad bittersweet as well.

Becca Jane said...

Personally, if Tambellini called me tomorrow and asked me what to do with the D situation I'd move Gilbert before I moved Souray. Souray has more experience, and with him it gives us two D pairings that potentially have a lot of good experience to share with younger guys, like Laddy or Grebs.

I think Laddy will be a 1/2 guy for whoever gives him the chance. I'd prefer it to be in Edmonton, but if Edmonton doesn't want to give him the opportunity I'd like to see him moved for his own benefit, not that I'd expect the organization to take that into consideration.

I agree on the bittersweet. There will likely be some moves that involve players who have ties with the city, and it's always sad to see those players go.

Becca Jane said...

"I agree on the bittersweet."

This from an English major. ;)

But I'm sure you get the idea.