Apr 4, 2009

Vancouver@Edmonton; Paper vs Ice

I don't have that much to say about this game. The fact is that all I can think about regarding the team these days is that one more loss can just put us all out of our brutal misery. The Oilers sit at 81 points and we only have four games left, meaning that at the most we end up with 89 points which would require the team to run the table. The team's longest win streak this season was a four game streak to start the season, and that was almost pure fluke.

I really don't want to say too much about the alleged 'Katz Text', however I will say this: After a season like the one we just experienced, and by we I mean both the organization and the fans, changes have to be made. The problem with this team is not small, if it had been we would've seen a solution put forth by now. The majority of people that I've spoken to think that the change needs to be MacTavish, and I am inclined to agree with them; not because I think he's a bad coach, because he's not, but because this team has clearly been slowly drifting away from the kind of team that MacTavish has the arsenal to coach. We're a small team that uses skill, speed, and finesse to win games. MacTavish has shown that he shines best when he's got a gritty team with size that's willing to work its ass off every second of every shift of every period of every game. The team we iced this year either did not have the drive or did not have the parts to be cup contenders. Neither of which do I place solely on MacT or Lowe's shoulders.

The fact is that when I look at this team we sound good:

Souray, a defensemen with an insane point shot that works incredibly well in powerplay situations. He's also got one hell of a mean streak, and who doesn't like players with a mean streak?

Lubomir Visnovsky, who before his injury was proving all of the people in LA wrong with his defensive responsibility. He had 31 points and was a +6 before he got injured.

Sam Gagner, Patrick O'Sullivan, and Andrew Cogliano who are all filled with skill and have a great head for the game. I haven't seen enough from O'Sullivan to be able to confidently classify him in a certain role or player type, but I like what I've seen thus far, despite the lack of production. Gagner, though he struggled earlier in the season, has been working hard all season and that's paying off now. Cogliano, who has struggled a little, and I stress the little, over the past week or so; but he's been solid for us this season, and he was the only one of the kids not to have to deal with the offensive slump of the dreaded sophmore season.

Ladislav Smid, who has come into his own this season as a solid stay-at-home D-man with some offensive flair that has been showing up more often as he feels more comfortable with his own place on the team.

Denis Grebeshkov, who has come a long way from a couple of seasons ago, when we thought we had basically exchanged one MAB for another.

Zach Stortini, who has been gradually improving to a point where I don't cringe when I see him engage in a fight, in fact he's had a couple good ones this season.

Kyle Brodziak, who I feel doesn't get near enough recognition on the team, he kills penalties effectively, hardly ever takes penalties, plays a physical type of game, and if last season was any indication he can also become a legitimate scoring threat with the proper linemates.

Shawn Horcoff, who despite his oversized extension that kicks in next season and his lack of production this season, has worked his ass off for this team and never looks like he's coasting or being lazy.

Ales Kotalik, who's been unbelieveably good for us of late. He's got chemistry with Hemmer and I'd like to keep him if possible. He's a forward that plays the point on the powerplay, kind of like Stoll used to, and he's got one hell of a one-timer.

I think I'm forgetting somebody... Oh yeah:

Ales Hemsky, who has been unbelievable at times this season. Say what you want about his comments in the Journal earlier this season, but the fact is that he's our best player, and his contract is one of the best in the league. No way I'd trade him and I've been appalled at the ammount of people who have suggested it. Hemsky seems to get better as his career wears on, and I think he likes the city. He's now scored 20 goals in back to back seasons, and he's become the face of the franchise, and while he may not score as many goals as Ovechkin or Crosby he has just as many highlight reel-ers.


So then the question is: What the hell happened?

I don't know, but after reading Lowetide's Ch-ch-ch-Changes article I'm kind of frightened of what may actually occur this offseason.

From the article:

What we now have is an old fashioned dog-and-pony show, with everyone but Ziggy Stardust and Iggy Pop getting involved. Ethan Moreau told us today there will be changes and the kids are different now and the special teams weren't helped and if you read between the lines he's saying don't trust anyone under 26.

A fine mess we have here. A little while ago I suggested that if MacT stayed we could predict a few of the players heading out (Penner, Pouliot, Nilsson). After today I think we might be looking at something deeper here, something resembling a really big mistake.

Really big.



Yikes.


As Always: Go Oilers Go!

3 comments:

Ontario Oilfan said...

I agree with your analysis of MacTavish in most regards. He's not a bad coach, but he's run his course with this team. He doesn't have what they need to continue developing as a franchise especially with the renewed focus on youth and skill. The one thing that worries is MacT's replacement. Who do we have to choose from?

I'd like to see Daum because of his success with the kids last year as an assistant coach. I'm not sure who else is out there though. When I try and think of a coach that can teach kids and play an offensive and exciting game, no one really comes to mind.

Whatever happens, I hope they go outside their comfort zone of ex-Oilers dynasty guys.

This offseason is going to be tough. A lot of turnover is necessary as the team's already at the 50 pro-contract limit and has stated they don't intend to hit that cap next year. There's probably going to be a lot of "busted prospect" dumping/trading like Pouliot and O'Marra. More interesting to me are the opportunities for cutting/trading some of the older players with big contracts like Moreau, and Staios. After seeing Smith traded, everyone's fair game.

Regardless of the player moves, nothing much will change if they keep MacT or choose the wrong coach. *fingers crossed*

Becca Jane said...

Lowetide suggested a guy named Don Lever, he talks about him in his gameday blog post: http://lowetide.blogspot.com/2009/04/canucks-at-oilers-g7908-09.html

I've also heard a lot of people talk about Pat Quinn.

Personally I don't really keep up on the coaches, perhaps I will eventually, but it just isn't something I keep tabs on.

I agree with you on the 'if MacT doesn't go then nothing changes' idea. I also think it's a fine line that the organization will be walking this offseason.

Ontario Oilfan said...

Thanks for that link. I like the parallels Lowetide draws between the French-speaking requirement in Montreal and the ex-Oilers requirement in Edmonton.

I'm not sure Quinn's much of an upgrade over MacT. From seeing him in TO, I get the feeling he's more of a veteran's coach. Sure, he won the Juniors, but I could prolly win the World Juniors with Team Canada. I'm not sure it means that much.

In the end I suppose it doesn't matter what we think... Lets hope management has a good idea of what this team needs.