Apr 15, 2009

Playoffs! Let's Get The Run Down!



Wait. Do you smell that? Ah, yes; the playoffs are here! Sans-Oil, but I’ve already dwelt on that for long enough.

There are several teams that I’m cheering against, and a couple that I am cheering for. But let’s go over the matchups and my initial reactions, because that’s fun... Well, at least for me!

The Western Conference:

1. San Jose Sharks vs 8. Anaheim Ducks
This should be interesting. With San Jose’s injuries and Anaheim’s physical style of play this could actually be close. If San Jose can pull their offense from the beginning of the season out of a hat then Anaheim’s in some serious trouble, which is good for me because I’ll be rooting for San Jose this round; I want the Ducks to lose.
Prediction: San Jose in 6 or 7. Long series, but San Jose was picking it back up at the end of the season, and I think they’ll overpower Anaheim.
2. Detroit Red Wings vs 7. Columbus Blue Jackets
This matchup should be tons o’ fun. Columbus is a team that I’m cheering for, but they’re in tough against a well-built Detroit team that hasn’t deteriorated in my history of watching hockey, which I’ll admit is not that long. That said, Detroit hasn’t always had the best success in the playoffs, and Columbus is making the playoffs for the first time in their history this year, so that should add some pretty good fire to their game. The first time we all get to see Rick Nash in the playoffs? Should be great fun!

Prediction: Unfortunately I’m going to have to say Detroit in 6. I really want Columbus to prove me wrong. Really bad.

3. Vancouver Canucks vs 6. St Louis Blues
I hate the Vancouver Canucks. So I’ll be cheering for St Louis here. I think it should be an interesting series, though I’m not sure what to expect from it. I’m hoping that St Louis’ momentum from the last couple months carries them through this series, but Vancouver has been playing well of late as well. That said; Vancouver has never had any kind of playoff success, so that’s a plus for St Louis.
Prediction: St Louis in 6. This is a shaky prediction, but I think that Matts Sundin’s lack of production comes back to haunt Vancouver, and their lack of playoff success plants doubt in their minds when they don’t have success early.
4. Chicago Black Hawks vs 5. Calgary Flames

As with most Oiler fans I have a serious hatred for the Flames. That said it is a respectful hate, unlike my hate for Vancouver. I do think that Calgary’s lack of success down the stretch is going to be a problem come tonight, especially with Chicago’s speed and offensive prowess. Chicago is a team that I think has a decent shot at the cup this year if they can pull it all together. Khabibulin is going to have to be unbelievable.

Prediction: Chicago in 5. I think the Flames are outmatched here. Chicago will make short work of the Flames and their Regehr-less defensive corps.


Eastern Conference

I don’t have a lot of ties to the eastern conference, so I don’t have a lot of teams to cheer for or against.

1. Boston Bruins vs 8. Montreal Canadiens

I'm pretty sure the Habs haven't got an ice cube's chance in hell of beating Boston. This is going to be short and one-sided, the closest series to a sweep as far as I'm concerned.

Prediction: Boston in 4 or 5.

2. Washington Capitals vs 7. New York Rangers

I love watching Ovechkin play, so I'm hoping the Capitals can pull it out for a couple rounds so we can watch him more often. Green is also a treat to watch on the back-end. Lundqvist can be a beast in net though, so this could be interesting.

Prediction: Caps in 6.

3. New Jersey Devils vs Carolina Hurricanes

I want to see Erik Cole do well, so I'll be cheering on Carolina for this series. That said, New Jersey and Brodeur will be a diffucult hurdle to jump.

Prediction: Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to say Jersey in 7. I want Erik to prove me wrong though. Prove me wrong!

4. Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Philadelphia Flyers

I'll be cheering for Pittsburgh here, because I'm in love with Sykora, and I like Garon, though he probably won't get playing time unless Fleury goes down. *knock on wood* Philadelphia won't take this lying down, and I'll be looking for some solid physical hits. That said, we've seen in the past that this kind of play tend to ger Flyer players suspended.

Prediction: Pittsburgh in 6. Should be a good match-up, I hope Sykora scores a lot!

Alrighty, all set for tonight.

Unrelated Note: Tambellini meets with the press in three minutes, watch it live here.

No comments: