Apr 27, 2009

It's Been a While

I've not been posting all this time because of two reasons:

1. The Oilers are not in the playoffs, and as such I don't feel the need to post daily about other teams' success, or lack thereof.

2. My exams were all in three days of hell, so I had no time in between studying and wasting as little time as possible eating and sleeping, and if I don't have time to eat, then I guarantee you I don't have time to blog. Twitter is a different story ;)

So I thought we'd check up on my predictions, see which ones are still good, which ones are failing and which ones failed miserably; I know there's at least one.

SJS in 6 or 7

The latter half of this is still possible, but the Sharks are going to have to pick it up if they want to take this series, which at this point seems unlikely. Series stands at 3-2 Ducks.

DET in 6

Detroit won this one easily in 4. Columbus didn't put up much fight, and Rick Nash hardly even showed up, save for the last game. That said, it was their first ever playoff run, so at least their fans got to see some playoff hockey, and the team earned some valuable experience that will do nothing but help the club moving forward.

STL in 6

*sigh* Van swept STL. I hate Vancouver, but St Louis clearly did not have the tools to match Vancouver's goaltending or their scoring prowess; despite the fact that Matts Sundin cannot seem to help the team offensively for some reason. If I was a Leafs fan I'd say it was because he left his heart in Toronto, but I'm not so I won't ;)

CHI in 5

Won't be CHI in 5, but it may be in 6. I hope it is, because truth be told Chicago is the better team, even with all prejudices aside. Calgary just doesn't have the pieces to take on the well-balanced and well-planned roster of the Chicago Blackhawks.

BOS in 4 or 5

Was Boston in 4. Montreal never had a chance in this series, and I think every one, save for Habs fans, knew that going into the match-up. Better luck next season Montreal.

WSH in 6

This has been an interesting series. NYR was up 3-1 on the Caps, and they've managed to battle back to tie the series at 3. Game 7 will be in Washington's building, and with the kind of momentum they've got going their way at the moment I can't see New York pulling this one out. Could happen though.

NJ in 7

Game 7 goes tomorrow. Has been the closest and most interesting first round series bar none. Save for the first and sixth games (4-1 NJ and 4-0 CAR respectively) the series has been incredibly tight, all of the games in between having been won by a single goal. In one case the game ended up at 1-0 for NJ. Ridiculous. I hope CAR pulls this out, but it will likely be close.

PIT in 6

Was Pittsburgh in 6. Wooo! I got one right! What do I win? Oh, the chance to predict the second round? Awesome! Good times!

Last possible games go Wednesday, so I'll see you Thursday to talk Round 2. It should be a good time!

1 comment:

Ontario Oilfan said...

The biggest surprise for me in the first round had to be CLB. I figured they'd at least win a game on home ice with all of that energy they should have had, what with it being their first ever playoff appearance. Rick Nash reminded me of the Rick Nash in the 2006 Olympics - listless and frustrated.

Does he need a little bit of Gaborik on his opposite wing?

I was expecting STL to get at least a win or two as well. They had such a great story and ran into a Vancouver team that overwhelmed the Blues in all facets of the game. Luongo is the best goalie in the playoffs right now and that means the Canucks, IMO, are the best team remaining.

The consensus in Ontario seems to be that Sundin left his heart in his wallet in the back pocket of his favourite pair of jeans. He then proceeded to iron those jeans until they were as flat as pancakes. Oops.

What can we say about SJ? They need some serious help; the incumbents on the ice in California aren't getting it done even with a new regime in charge.

Vancouver and Anaheim Western final? That would be a killer physical series, literally.

Congrats on the Pittsburgh prediction. They knocked out my cup favourites quite easily. Back to the drawing board! :D