Mar 27, 2009

Sunshine and Rainbows! - Edmonton @ Anaheim



Okay, so rather than get all hot and bothered and complain ruthlessly about the Oilers' loss last night; I have decided to be positive. Because the game is more enjoyable this way, and because I don't want to be in a bad mood.

I found a couple positives last game and I thought I'd share them with you:

1. Dustin Penner. Penner, despite criticism that he receives on a daily basis, was doing a lot of things last night that we've wanted him to do for the entire season. He was backchecking, he was hitting, he was battling for the puck and winning, and most importantly he was using his size to his advantage. No one could get Penner off of the puck last night, and that's awesome.

2. Our PK was abnormally good. I don't want to hear about how the Coyotes' powerplay is already bad, because bad PP or not our PK looked good. And that is something that we'll need to have working going forward. Can you imagine where we'd be if our special teams were in the top quarter of the league? Top 5 teams in the West I guarantee you.

3. Hemsky had a good game. He had less turnovers, chipped in with a goal and an assist, and he was hitting people (he was tied for third in the team last night with 2, Laddy and Brodz also with 2). I am already sick and tired of people and their comments regarding Hemsky since the article that came out, and I've reserved to not posting on the OMB because I'd likely get banned for some of the things that I'd want to say in reaction to some of the posters. All I'm gonna say is that people need to learn a little empathy and step down from their high horse before they fall off and break their backs.

I could discuss negative things but, like I said, I'm deciding to focus on the positives. Sunshine and Rainbows all around!

I just hope there aren't any clouds in the forecast for, say, 7:30 PM tonight.

As Always: Go Oilers Go!

2 comments:

Ontario Oilfan said...

I was happy with Penner last night. He needs to have more icetime than he receives on the 4th line. The soft 'n fluffy bunny line of Gagner, Hemsky, and O'Sullivan just can't win any battles... Bless their hearts for trying but they're missing Penner's size horribly.

Hemsky was shooting last night. When he shoots, he's got the best wrist shot on this team. Hope to see more of that tonight.

The D corps as a whole had a rough game last night. Usually they don't string two stinkers together in a row... Grebeshkov and Souray are two guys I'm looking at for some solid bounce-back minutes tonight.

Oh, and Roli.. well, he hasn't had a shutout in a while, eh? I'm just saying...

Becca Jane said...

I agree, Penner deserves more ice time. I think he likes the lack of pressure he receives on the fourth line. They inserted him briefly with Gagner and Kotalik for a few shifts, and I think that line may have some potential.

I love it when Hemsky uses his wristshot. His is one of the best in the league in my personal opinion.

Yeah, the defense had a rough time last night, I'll be looking for a better all around game by the D-men tonight.

And Roli... I think he's tired; that first goal last night was a little weak. And when Roli gives up weak goals early the Oilers are usually in for a tough night.