Jan 20, 2009

Blue Jackets @ Oilers



Okay, so like I said last night: the Oilers need to win this one or they will fall out of the top 8 tonight. In fact, if Anaheim, Phoenix, Minnesota and Vancouver lose tonight and we win (unlikely, but possible), we would move into a three-way tie for 5th; the Oilers would have the edge on 5th with 2 games in hand.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Over at Lowetide a battle of epic proportions is unfolding tonight. Arguably the best Game-Day writer of the Oilers Blog Community is on the verge of jumping ship in favor of the Columbus Blue Jackets should the Oilers lose to them at Rexall this evening. Personally I really hope they win, because I don't want to read about the Blue Jackets for the rest of the season. End of story. Scott, over at Gospel of Hockey criticizes LT in his most recent post, an adaptation of Biblical passage Exodus 20:1-6. In fact the entirety of that blog is adaptations of bible passages; definitely worth a read. I don't criticize Lowetide for his recent behaviour and threats, in fact, I kind of admire him for his strength. If I threatened to abandon the team I definitely wouldn't actually have the strength to do so.

I don't know if I want the strength to do so.

Back to the Game:

Tonight Raffi Torres returns to Edmonton for the first time since his being traded in the off-season. This feels strange to me because I don't think I've watched him play in almost two years because of his injury in his last season with the Oil. It feels like he's been gone a lot longer than he has. Regardless, I don't miss him in Oiler silks by any means.

Hemsky returned to the line-up Sunday night against the Phoenix Coyotes, he had two goals, and while I didn't actually have the opportunity to watch the game (I had choir rehersal) but I did hear from those that did watch the game that Hemsky was on fire all night. I love Hemsky, he is one of my absolute favourite players, and definitely the most exciting of them all. I'd really like him to have another great night, if for nothing else than to entertain me.

Moreau had a hat-trick in that game versus Phoenix, and the Oilers will be in good shape if he can produce consistently (I'm not counting on it). I have been rough on the Oiler captain, mostly because of the penalties that he seems to take at inopportune times. As a captain it is important not to make the game more difficult for your team, taking stupid penalties does not show leadership. That said, the penalties are really the only thing that I have against 'Chopper,' otherwise I think he is fairly effective.

Listening to the Off-Day comments of Sam Gagner and Dustin Penner gives me the feel that the dressing room of the Oilers has become a more pleasant place to be. The team is playing with more heart and determination, even in that 5-1 loss against Minnesota the team didn't look bad, and the game was a lot closer than the score indicated.

I think the Oilers have a good chance of winning tonight, and of course I hope they do: because I always want the Oilers to win and because I don't want to have to ignore Lowetide for the rest of the season.

Bring this one home boys, let's go into the All-Star break on a great note.

No comments: