Jan 21, 2009

Five Oilers I've Loved Thus Far : #5 Erik Cole






With the All-Star Break ahead I figured I'd write something that isn't complaining about the All-Star Game or speculating whether Chara or Souray is going to win the Hardest Shot Competition. Ta-Da! Five Oilers I've Loved Thus Far.

Todays installment: #5 Erik Cole.

Granted: early this season Erik would have been near the very bottom of a list of my favourite Oilers; however, the entire team was playing sub-par type hockey. Through his last 13 games or so Erik Cole has really turned it up in the production department, and his great play started long before then. I've really enjoyed his play for at least the last 20-25 games, even though for a lot of those games he was pointless. He was working hard and one knew that eventually pucks would start hitting the twine off of Cole's stick.

We were right.

For the past couple games he and Gagner have had their chemistry cool down a bit, but prior to then the two of them had some pretty awesome plays going. From watching Cole with the kids it also appears that he gets along with them very well and is mentoring them a bit, and seeing as Cole is a power-forward there will be no complaining from me; the kids can use ever bit of toughness they can get their hands on.

The other thing that has really impressed me with Cole is his heart. The way he plays just screams classic Oiler grit and determination, and as an Oiler fan, I always appreciate players like that.

Looking forward to watching Erik Cole for the rest of the season.

No comments: