Jan 9, 2009

Sharks @ Oilers




The Oilers are set tonight to start their sixth straight game without their first line RW and leading point-getter Ales Hemsky. The Oilers are 2-3-0 without Hemsky in the line-up, and they're clearly lacking some creativity up front; not to mention the lack of production on the powerplay (The Oilers are only 3/23 on the powerplay during Hemsky's absence, that adds up to about 13% efficiency. Ouch.)

The San Jose Sharks are 29-5-5 this season, absolutely insane if you ask me, but with skill like they have, and this is at all positions, it's not hard to believe.

The Oilers have only played the Sharks once this season and the Oilers won that game 3-2 in OT. Ales Hemsky scored the first goal in that game at 8:50 at ES with what I remember being a wicked wrist-shot from the slot; the first shot of the game for the Oilers I believe. What is concerning is that both of the other goals were scored on the powerplay, and judging from who scored/assisted on the goals I can deduce that Hemsky was likely on the ice for at least one of those goals.

I noted earlier this week that I was beginning to worry about Hemsky. I really am worrying, it is comforting to see him on the ice during the game. I think I'd probably feel better if they would do another injury update, or an interview of some sorts. Heck, even a shot of him in the press-box would suffice.

I feel like some worried mother; and I am too young to be a mother Mr. Hemsky.

At any rate I hope the Oilers pull it out tonight, at least one point in this game would be a definite step in the right direction. Not that you needed me to tell you that. These are my hopes for the game:

1. Sam Gagner and Erik Cole continue to generate chemistry on the second line.
2. Ladislav Smid fights some one. Seriously, from what fans have seen thus far he's good at it.
3. The PP at least manages to get set-up, a goal or two would be nice.
4. We score at least 3 goals.
5. The PK continues on it's new track in the right direction.
6. The fourth line continues to be a source of energy for the rest of the team.
7. We have at least 2 centermen or players above 50% in the face-off dot.
8. Brule gets some production going with Horcoff and Penner, seriously, this is supposed to be the first line. If they can't get it done they need to be demoted: move the Nilsson, Gagner, Cole line up.
9. Ethan Moreau manages to stop giving away the puck and actually produce something positive in the way of offense instead of taking stupid penalties.
10. The team puts in a full 60 minutes. Not 20, not 40, but 60... Wait, no I've changed my mind, I want 80 minutes of effort just in-case this goes into extra-time.

No comments: