Jan 25, 2009

Five Oilers I've Loved Thus Far : #2 Sheldon Souray



The player in second place for me thus far in the year is a player that I cannot confess to being very patient with his injuries last season. We brought him in for some immediate improvement, and he barely ever played.

Of course I realize that he was injured, it's hockey; it happens. I was just tired of seeing our team with it's relatively weak back-end on the ice. That said, once the team went on that tear in March I forgot all about Souray.

Now that Souray is healthy and is playing the kind of minutes that we had originally hoped he would I can appreciate him for what he is.

And he is Awesome.

His defensive strategies are solid and his slapshot from the point is everything thay said it was and more. He is a tower back on our blue-line and I cringe everytime he takes a penalty (which by all accounts is not often) because I don't like the look of our PK when he's in the box.

He seems to have leadership qualities as well, which are always pleasent things to have. And when Sheldon gets angry the objects of his agression better watch out: Angry Sheldon is straight-up menacing.

No comments: