Jan 22, 2009

Five Oilers I've Loved Thus Far : #4 Lubomir Visnovsky



I was incredibly psyched for Lubomir Visnovsky to come over to Edmonton in the off-season after we traded Matt Greene and Jarret Stoll for him. This guy has easily become one of my favourite hockey players, he's definitely the Oiler that I have the most different nicknames for, and I just love it when this guy smiles.

And he smiles a lot.

The main complaint about Lubo when he came over was that, while he was clearly offensively gifted and was an excellent power-play quarterback, he was said to be lacking in defensive responsibility. I can honestly say that I don't know what they were talking about. Perhaps something about the fact that the L.A. Kings aren't exactly defensively gifted made Lubomir appear less talented defensively. Either way, if I had to choose one Oiler D-man to defend on a one-on-one rush it would be Vish. Hands down.

At the beginning of the season MacT had Visor playing with Souray, which was good, but when you have both of your best point-men playing on the same unit (especially on the powerplay) the opposing team just plays really high and covers the point-men. Obviously this didn't work too well, so lately Visnovsky has been playing with Grebeshkov and this works very well. Grebeshkov and Lubo work well together, and I'm looking forward to watching them together for the rest of the season.

No comments: