Jan 26, 2009

Five Oilers I've Loved Thus Far : #1 Ales Hemsky



Any one who didn't see this one coming hasn't watched the Oilers this season. Ales Hemsky has been playing some of his best hockey this year and is on pace for a career high production count.

In past seasons Ales has shown us skill, determination and courage but none of these things were qualities he expressed with any sort of consistency. This season he has changed that; night in and night out I am impressed with Hemmer, even when he has a pointless night he manages to wow me with at least two or three plays. He goes into the corners and grinds out the puck, he finesses his way past defenders and he dekes out any goaltender who happens to be in his way. Hemsky is Edmonton's star player, and if he continues to play like he has thus far the entire League will take notice.

For now he's our little secret, and I'm okay with that.

I'm not saying that Hemsky isn't known by the players around the league, because that would be false. He is on the mind of every defender who has the task of attempting to stop him, just ask them (I believe it was Raffi Torres that was commenting after the Blue Jackets game about how one just wants to throw a blanket over him for the duration of the game, I'm not convinced that even a 30 lb itchy wool blanket would stop him). It seems to be the fans that are caught unawares by Hemsky. It's like every time I talk to fans of the opposite team that we were playing they ask me, "Where in the h--- did this Hemsky guy come from?" They even forget about him until the next game we play against them, "Oh man, I forgot about that Hemsky guy."

I think that trend is starting to change.

His performance in the Blue Jackets game was quite possibly the best individual effort I've seen in my brief history as an Oiler fan. His effort all year has been incredible, and I can't wait to watch him for the remainder of the season and just maybe *crosses fingers* the playoffs.

No comments: