Feb 7, 2009

Oilers @ Red Wings



The Oilers are back in action this afternoon in the first half of their back-to-back set. There is speculation as to who is starting in net this afternoon, I fully expect Roloson to be between the pipes and JDD to be put in net tomorrow night. I just don't see them throwing JDD to the wolves, I don't think he has the experience to handle that at this point in his career.

Horcoff is likely out and so is Gilbert. To be honest I have been less-than impressed with Gilbert's game lately, he has just seemed less reliable than usual but perhaps that's just me. Horcoff, on the other hand, is a player I am almost positive that the Oilers are going to feel the pain of losing this afternoon. He's the team leader in face-offs taken and FO%, and having him out will likely be a less-than pleasant experience.

In Gilbert's absence Pekham has been called up and word is that he's been slated into the second D pairing. I really hope that in light of this Smid gets a chance on a pairing higher than the third, I think it's time to see if he can handle a higher pairing; I think he can.

The Red Wings ended a five game losing streak with a 5-4 win over the Phoenix Coyotes this past Wednesday, they'll be looking to build a win streak with a win tonight.

The Oilers won their last game 2-1 in a SO over St. Louis, they will also be looking to start a win streak to get back into the mix of the playoffs.

No comments: