Dec 16, 2008

Blackhawks at Oilers


The Oilers strap on their skates tonight against the Chicago Blackhawks at Rexall place.

Let's hope we brought our legs tonight or this one will get ugly real fast.

Last season the Oilers and the Blackhawks were seen as teams with the same game-plan, bring some kids up to the big show and run with their skill and speed.

Last season this seemed to work a whole lot better for the Oilers than it has this season, most likely because the kids are not a surprise anymore. However in Chicago Teows and Kane have still managed to put up respectable point totals: 23 and 34 respectively.

The Oilers are going to need a good effort out of their young guns tonight if we're going to push past the Hawks, a good offensive as well as defensive game is in order. The last game the kids looked good, Nilsson looked a little shakey coming off his injury, but he'll straighten his game out. Gagner and Cogliano were feeding off eachother all night and I want to see the same kind of effort tonight, hopefully with more evidence on the scoreboard for their work.

Long story short: The Oilers need to come out with their feet moving and minds sharp and keep their hands on their sticks and their sticks on the ice. Chicago's speed will land us in the penalty box if we're not careful, but if we bring our jets tonight we will be of equal danger to them.

I'll be going to the game, despite my having an exam tomorrow at 9:00 AM. If the Oilers squander this one away I may be a little sore about losing about 3 hours of study time.

Effort boys, that's all I'm asking for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that had to suck.

R

Becca Jane said...

Well that had to suck.

R


Indeed it did. By the time we were down 6-1 we knew we weren't coming back, but 9-2? That was just disgusting. Not to mention we even scored on our own net, after that half of Rexall was on its collective way out. I stayed, it wasn't so bad for me, at least I've seen the Oilers win a few as well, but my sister was with me and that was her first hockey game, and I'm pretty sure the 3 or 4 year old boy next to me was close to tears by the end of it all.

Sad performance by the Oilers last night. They better have one excellent game versus Vancouver tonight, they may be tired but the fans deserve a better effort than last night.