Dec 9, 2008

Laddi Smid: About to be Traded?


There have been whispers around the Edmonton Oilers' grapevine that there is some possibility of Ladislav Smid being on the move. It is mentioned in passing in an article of the Edmonton Sun; I know, not the most reliable source. [ SOURCE ] But when one thinks about it that could be a possibility coming across the horizon.

Ladislav has not been played very often, guys like Grebeshkov and Strudwick are taking his place, not that I agree with that choice it is the choice that the coach has made. Personally I think the Oilers have loaded themselves up on so-called puck movers and are going to find themselves in a bind when they don't have any defensively oriented guys on the blue-line. For the money it will take to sign Grebeshkov this off-season: I would rather have Smid at the contract he would receive.

When one thinks about it we have three defensemen who are seen as 'puck-movers': Visnovsky, Gilbert and Grebeshkov. Souray moves the puck well as well but that is not his 'type'. Visnovsky won't be traded, and no one will want Gilbert with his new contract. But Grebeshkov is still up in the air, this is a contract year for Grebs and I'm not sure that I would renew for the kind of money he'll want, which is Gilbert type money being as they are comparable talents.

So what does that leave us should we send Smid away? We'll resign Grebeshkov, and hope that Strudwick, Staios and Souray can hold the fort while the other three rack up the turnover count? I'm not ragging on the 'puck-movers' for this, that's just the style of play that they create, high-risk/high-return type plays.


The rumour is that the Senators could be involved, at least that would appease me as the Senators are my second favourite team; I could still watch him play. That said, I think the Oilers would regret letting this kid go this season or in the off-season here-after.

No comments: