Dec 31, 2008

Okay So I Lied...

I am angry coming away from this game and it is not because of an injury, nor is it for the reason most would think it is.

First let me say that it appeared to me that the game was poorly called, I'm not usually one to bring the refs into things but tonight it seemed that they turned a blind eye to some things that were blatant-take into consideration though that I am an Oiler fan and as such come with a built-in bias. This is not what made me angry, and this is not what ruined the game for me.

What ruined the game for me was the people that were sitting around me, on either side of me and behind me to be exact.

The man on the left of me: I don't think he could possibly have been any more negative if he tried. He criticized everything the Oiler players did, and I mean everything, they lost the game by one goal guys; one goal-calm yourselves. What's worse is that most of the time the criticism was unwarranted or over-exaggerated: yes, the Oilers were not at the top of their game tonight, but if we're dissecting the Oilers' game tonight then we have to also acknowledge that the Sens didn't have a real great game either-and I didn't hear their fans cutting their team down at every opportunity. Both he and to woman next to me kept saying that Garon should've had that second goal, and it wasn't the best goal to let in no doubt, but I'm pretty sure that Souray deflected and/or screened that goal himself. Garon had a solid game I thought, he made a few stops that kept the team in the game and that is all I ask of my goaltender: that he keep the game within reach. Garon did that.

The woman on the right of me: also criticized the Oilers' every decision, except she clearly did not know what she was talking about. Other times she would act like her advice was the best thing ever and that the Oilers should have just taken her advice and they wouldn't be in the trouble they're in. The problem was that her advice was not as comprehensive as she would've liked to think. For example when Souray took the penalty that lead to the third goal she said, "I hope they don't score." Promptly following the goal she stated, "See? I said I hope they don't score." Like that wasn't something the Oilers knew already. I think when I really lost it on her (in my head, not literally), was after she insulted Ladislav Smid. Now, we all remember who my favourite player is right? That's right it's Smid, so when she starts talking about him like he's the worst player to ever suit-up for the Oilers I am bound to hate her guts. Especially when this is after he merely couldn't hold the point and still ended up retrieving the puck from the Sens player (I think it was Vermette). "Ugh, Smid is terrible!" She yells--I just about killed her, she is lucky that I have good temper control.

The guy behind me: This actually had nothing to do with the Oiler game. This guy's buddies were discussing the Canada VS Kazakhstan game and he decides to throw in, "Man, I could've suited up for that Kazak team!" His buddies all agreed that they could've as well. All I have to say is this: have some f***ing respect. This is a nation that clearly wants to learn to play hockey and wants to be able to compete against the best in the sport. Yes, perhaps thus far they have been unsuccessful, but they are still submitting for the tournament every year and that shows great perseverance on their part. The first goaltender, Yankov, was actually pretty good I thought, especially for his being 5'8" and only 120-some-odd lbs. Sometimes I think that Canadians take their success in Hockey for granted, I think they forget that there was definitely a time where we weren't very good at hockey either, there just wasn't a nation around that was great at hockey so we didn't get our faces shoved in it year after year. Kazakhstan wants to play hockey, and I hope I see the day when they submit a team that competes against the best and has a shot at winning, a good shot.

Any way other than that the game was alright, the Oilers didn't have a horrible game, but it wasn't great either. I think had Hemsky been playing that game would have been a little more entertaining, or maybe it's just me who thinks he brings the majority of the entertainment value to the team. We would have had a better shot at winning as well.

On the Senators side I thought Spezza had a pretty good game, the save that Garon made on him in the first was complete fluke on his part and probably should have gone in. Regardless he still had a strong game, as did Alfredsson. I didn't really notice any of their defensemen for good or bad, except when, I think it was Phillips, ran into Alfredsson: turning the puck over and directly resulting in an Oiler goal.

I still don't think Vermette is gelling with the Sens any more, and I'd really like to see him in some Oiler gear sometime soon.

2 comments:

delooper said...

No sundin comeback thread?

I so hope the Oilers win tonight. That'd be the perfect kick in the crotches to all the Canucks fans here.

I will concentrate and try to telekinetically push the puck in the the Vancouver net. I will redouble my efforts.

R

Becca Jane said...

Ah... I have been slacking blogging-wise lately haven't I?

Indeed it's true, school tends to take precedence over these things.

I am definitely on the "win the game to completely spoil the Canucks' first game with Sundin" train. I really hope we can pull it out.

Your telekinetic powers may just be what the Oilers need tonight. It seems that they're having a hard time setting up in the offensive zone on the Power Play... Let alone scoring on it.