Dec 15, 2008

Please Excuse Me While I Flatter.


See this guy?

On the off chance you don't know who he is, or maybe don't recognize him because this is actually a fairly good picture of him, this is Ales Hemsky. My love for this man has not always been present; I always appreciated his talent but I just wasn't that fan who raves about him any chance they get. I'm sorry for those of you who hate those people but I have become that fan.

I am that person that gets their hopes up every time Hemsky touches the puck.

I am that fan who lovingly addresses him as 'Hemmer' despite not actually knowing him personally.

I am that girl who, fully knowing it to be puck-bunny-esque behaviour, melts a little inside whenever Hemsky puts on his "gee-golly did I do that?" act following one of his spectacular plays.

This season something has changed about Hemsky, and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Hemsky just seems to be doing every thing right at times, and I realize that there are also times where he drives every one crazy as well, but no one can deny the fact that he is the main offensive force on our team as it stands: he is the team leader in assists, goals and points. Points and assists are nothing new for Hemmer but it's the goals that are a bit of a surprise, not that it should be.

What I mean by that is that Hemsky has this absolutley wicked wrist-shot. I can't remember too many times where Hemsky gets a chance to think about his shot and it doesn't reach the twine. He has also perfected the art of utilizing the defender as a screen, catching goaltenders off guard sometimes. Combine those skills with the skill he has with the puck and why shouldn't he score goals? Simple: he always used to pass it off. Hemsky was always known as a pass-first guy, and now that he is shooting more often the goaltenders and defenders are, or at least have been thus far, caught off gaurd when they expected him to pass to Horcoff or Penner or whoever happens to be on the ice with him at that time.

Also something I've noticed and get particularly excited when I sense it is this feel that Hemsky gets to his play sometimes. There are certain times in a game when Hemsky gets the puck and you just know that that puck is going into the net. There's this determination factor that I notice and when that shows up I know there will either be a goal or a serious momentum shift in the game.

Seriously, women of Edmonton: get on this guy (and I mean that in the least vulgar way possible), he's a keeper and I'd like to see him in Oiler silks for a long time to come, so marry him already will ya?

No comments: