Dec 18, 2008

Canucks Sign Sundin

First I want to congratulate Vancouver, this could possibly be the move that puts them deep into the playoffs, as much as I hate to say it. Vancouver is on my list of least liked teams, and they’re pretty close to the top of that list, but this was an excellent show of patience by the Canucks’ organization. Word is that the Canucks are still looking for another top 6 forward, but if Sundin works with their line-up the way they want and expect him to I don’t think they’ll suffer without one.

Back to my team however and I hate the Canucks for signing Sundin, moreover I hate Sundin for signing in Vancouver. The North West division is difficult enough to win against as it is and Vancouver (a team that has not been a leader in the division for the past few years, and when they were they were not taken as a legitimate threat) just raised the bar even higher.

Like I said last night, I don’t know what this organization needs to do. I have some opinions on things that are of regular debate in Edmonton: whether MacT should stay, what kind of holes do we have in our line-up, should Robbie Schremp have been sent down, do the Oilers want Spezza/Kovalchuck and are they willing to sell the farm to get it done etc. But at the end of the day the fact is that my opinions on these matters do not count for anything aside from continuing a fire-y debate on the OMB.

I want our team to do well, but I can’t see that happening with the current trend in the Oilers’ play. There needs to be change, and I don’t know exactly what it is but I don’t think that changing the lines is all it will take.

I don’t want to wake up one morning and not want to watch the game that night. I don’t want a new season to start and not have the will to program the schedule into my phone. I don’t want to see the day where one of my friends asks, “so what do you think about the trade?” and I have no idea what he/she is talking about.

Those would be sad days indeed.

NOTE: I am a long way away from seeing those days.

No comments: