Dec 30, 2008

Senators Are in Town.



The Oilers are back in action tonight trying to extend their winning streak to 4 against the Ottawa Senators. By all accounts this game is definitely a winnable contest, the Senators: a team that was originally thought to bounce-back from a disappointing first-round exit last season, are kind of similar to the Oilers in one respect: neither team is living up to the pre-season hype.

The Senators are my second-favourite NHL team, I love them a lot but they will always be a second to the Oilers. I will be at this game tonight, I'm lucky I managed to get a couple of tickets to the game, on the 14th of November most of the games that were released were like a barren desert in terms of tickets actually available for sale. In a way this game is a win-win for me, of course I would prefer the Oilers to win, but the only way I come away angry tonight is if there is an injury caused by a dirty play.

There are a lot of people in Oil Country who think that Spezza is a good option for the Oilers. As a someone who watches him play for the Senators whenever I have the option to watch them on TSN or CBC I have to disagree with those people. Spezza is not the answer to our prayers, but that is just my opinion. I'm also of the opinion that Kovalchuk is not the answer either, that said I have no solution of my own to offer so perhaps I shouldn't be judging others' proposed solutions.

I hope the Oilers win tonight, as per usual (the hope is the usual event, not the win). But seeing as the Senators have already lost their last three, including one against both Calgary and Vancouver I am a little apprehensive.

EDIT: Looks like Hemsky is out for tonights game, this is not near as upsetting as the fact that he likely will not play tomorrow against Calgary either, that is a lot more worrying. Garon gets back between the pipes tonight and with a good game from him combined with perhaps Cole and Gagner continuing their good play (I am almost positive Cole will have another great game), I think we still win tonight. But a rusty Garon and a snake-bitten offense could spell disaster with a desperate team at the other end of the rink.

No comments: